Thursday 20 December 2012

Beer Town: First Impressions

For those of you not from the Kitchener/ Waterloo area, please allow me to share with you what everyone around here already knows:  We have some of the finest restaurants west of Toronto.  A large selection of these fantastic fine dining establishments are owned and operated by The Charcoal Group.  Last night I had the opportunity to sample the wares at the Charcoal Groups newest establishment: Beer Town.  Located in Waterloo Town Square, Beer town is a upscale public house with, as its name implies, a focus on all things Beer.  With 30 beers on tap, and 98 other varieties available by the bottle, there should be something to keep most beer drinkers happy.  While the focus seems to be fairly heavily biased towards various Canadian Microbrews, (which are fantastic, don't get me wrong!) there is also a strong selection of international beers as well.  The decor is modern, with a few traditional elements thrown in for balance, and the ambiance is very upscale urban trendy.  This may be a place that the local university students occasionally come to experience the wide selection of brews available, but the price point and menu are aimed more at the more discerning 30+ condo dwelling  RIM and Google employees that inhabit the core of  Waterloo.  The highlight of the experience is the various booths with dedicated taps located in the center of each table.  While not every booth has a tap, the ones that do are very popular.  It is my understanding that beer from these taps is billed by volume.  I will have to try it out for myself one day soon.  While I will admit that I struck out with the first 3 beers that I was hoping to find on the menu, after a thorough perusal of their beer list, I was encouraged to discover that there was at least 20 varieties that I had never tried before.  I quickly set about correcting that!
My first beverage, the Edinger Dunkel, a weiss bier of German origin.  Much darker in colour than most wheat beers, the Dunkel has a surprising light taste that is a pleasant surprise to the palate.  Available by the bottle, the Dunkel was a solid choice for wheat beer fans that are looking for a new experience.
My second beverage of the evening was also an offering from the Edinger Brewery.  The Edinger Weiss Bier, which the menu tells me, is ranked the #1 wheat beer in the world.  A cloudy, creamy, golden pint of delicious heaven, the Edinger Weiss has a crisp, clean taste that wheat beer enthusiasts will appreciate, and a strong, sharp finish that sets it apart from any other wheat beer I had ever experienced.  It instantly became my new favourite wheat beer.
Alas, I did not sample the menu last night, but everything that I saw come from the kitchen looked fantastic. 
I'll be headed back to Beer Town soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment