Friday 23 August 2013

Port Blake Conservation Area has a beautiful beach

My quest to find a better beach took me to Grand Bend today. Let me be honest, I am not, and never have been a fan of the main beach here in Grand Bend for anything other than people watching. It is just too crowded with dippy young tourists, who, while they may provide eye candy and the occasional laugh, tend to clutter up the beach with stupid, and nobody needs that. Plus, the entry to the water is marred with a swath of rocks and small stones. I prefer soft sandy beaches that gently gradually slope to the waters edge. Icing sugar sand that would do the Dominican's rum soaked beaches proud are what I am after. I know it's alot to ask, especially from Southwest Ontario, but I have high standards for my beaches, and that is never going to change.


My ultimate destination today was the beach at Port Blake Conservation Area. Located just north of Grand Bend, the entrance to Port Blake can be found just before the Waterworks Treatment Plant on Highway 21. As a tip, continue past the conservation area entrance, and park on Waterworks Road (The west terminus of Highway 83) to save yourself the $5 parking fee.


Pristine and clean, this beach is way better, and less densely populated than the main beach. It is also worth mentioning that the sand is much better quality, soft, and smooth as opposed to large grained and coarse, it is one of the best beaches I have found in a while. With the added bonus of picnic pavilions, BBQ pits, and public washrooms, this beach is a great hidden treasure, and one that I am shocked that I hadn't discovered until now.

1 comment:

  1. Other top beaches for you? I have similar criteria. :)

    ReplyDelete