Wednesday 28 August 2013

Carpe Diem, and all that jazz

Generally speaking I am a firm believer in the concepts of living every day to its fullest and seizing every moment - real Dead Poets Society stuff. "Oh Captain, my Captain", and all that jazz, but as as of late, as Summer winds down I often find myself silently wishing whole days away. Increasingly often I find myself lost in long silent moments of reflection where all I want is a return to the routine that is my life at home, or at least, my life when I am working close enough to home to enjoy the comfort of my own bed every night. While I can certainly recognize the attraction of this return to the routine, what I have a hard time reconciling is the desire for this Summer to be over. It has been a great summer season, filled with interesting challenging artistic opportunities at work, wonderful family time, and lots of fun creative experiences with new and old friends.
I suppose that some small part of me believes that a return to the routine will make all of my current cares and concerns vanish, but ultimately I know that each and every new day brings with it both a whole host of new challenges to overcome and a collection of perfect moments to be treasured. The important part is recognizing those moments for what they are and not letting them pass you by.

No comments:

Post a Comment