Wednesday 6 June 2012

The night is dark and full of terrors.

Now that all 10 episodes of Season 2 of Game of Thrones have aired on HBO I feel that I can once again tackle this topic.

Season 1 of the television series hooked me in.  Friends assured me that I would love it.  They were right. 

So I read the books.  They are AMAZING.  If you haven't read them yet, drop what ever piece of trash you are reading, and pick them up. In my not-so-humble opinion they are collectively the best piece of Fantasy fiction to have been written in the last 30 years.  ADD to this an incredible HBO series that acts as a companion guide, and these novels and TV show combine to become an EXPERIENCE.

Yes, they have taken some liberties with the Television series, especially in Season 2, which I am sure pureists on the interweb will rail against, but ultimately, the strength of the writing, actors, and overall plot come together to make these novels come to life on your television screen for an hour each week, commercial free.  I have now seen each of these episodes at least twice, and I can't wait to get my hands on blu ray copies for future viewing pleasure.

A tip of my proverbial cap to a couple of the cast members in particular. Peter Dinklage, for his portrayal of Tyrion Lanaster.  He kicks ass.  Battle Axe in hand in the season finale, he makes my day.  Also, Kit Harrington for his portrayal of Jon Snow.  This has been a big season for both of these characters, and I love the way these actors have handled themselves.

Season 2 was really all about firsts - For the first time we get to see some exciting new places, Quarth (definitively pronounced Karth), Harrenhall, Pike, and Dragonstone.  We finally get to meet the deceased King's eldest younger brother Stannis, who is mentioned so often in Season 1, as Ned Starks choice for the successor.  We go beyond the wall for the first time since the pilot, to meet Castor and his daughters/wives, and get our first look at the Fist of the First men.  Not what I was expecting by the way.  Way more isolated, desolate, and visually interesting.  We also meet Margaery Tyrell, who would be Queen to Renly Barathian, for the first time.  For the record, there is a new added scene in episode 3 between Renly and Margaery that takes place in Renly's tent that I felt added a whole new dynamic to that relationship.  I also thouroughly enjoy Natalie Dormer in her portrayal...I also enjoyed her as Anne Boleyn in The Tudors, and she spends way more time naked in Game of Thrones.  Just sayin'.

The big first of course, was the introduction of the White Walkers at the end of the season 2 finale.  I know alot of people are going to be pissed that season 2 ended where it did, but it was visually very interesting.  I think it also sets up a hell of a battle for season 3 episode 1.

This post would be incomplete if I didn't at least mention the Battle of Blackwater, episode 9.  It was really well executed, and fully deserved the entire episode which it received.  I found the edits which took us from character to character within the battle both engaging and insightful.  To jump back and forth between characters enmeshed in the heat of battle (no pun intended) and characters awaiting news of the tide of battle inside the city walls provided a really engaging viewing experience.

I could go on and on, but I won't.  Read these books, and then watch this show, or vice versa.  You now have about 10 months before season 3 will air.  That should be plenty of time.  Don't procrastinate, you will be depriving yourself of an incredible experience.





No comments:

Post a Comment