Saturday 16 June 2012

The big 6-0.

Had the pleasure of attending my Father's 60th birthday party in Warwick Village this evening.
To preface this post I feel that it is important to note that I had a couple of duties to attend to to help prep for the party.
#1 - Fill the coolers - Four coolers worth of beer (5 brands, all domestic) and various vodka coolers for the ladies...although to be honest, most of the ladies wanted beer...its that kind of a crowd...this also requires 3 trips to the local corner store to purchase 21 bags of ice.
#2 - Pick up the cake, and while you're at it make a timmy's run for the immediate family who is here early to help set up.
#3 - Assist with the starting of the bonfire.  If you know me at all, you likely know that fire and I have a somewhat sordid past, so inevitably I get asked to start alot of fires at family functions...If you don't know the reason behind this...well, that's a story for another time...
#4 - Assist with the grilling of the meat.  I was happy to pass off the primary grilling responsibility to my brother in law for tonight's event.  I was happy to simply be in charge of fetching more frozen meat to the grill, and transporting the cooked meat to the starving masses.

We had a great turn out for the big day, lots of family and close friends, even a couple of people who are very new friends that Dad recently met through the golf course and invited back to partake in the festivities.  Its that kind of a town...

Other than Just the Wife, my sister and her Husband - The Original Uncle Ernie- most of the guests were of my parents generation.  It was an educational and enlightening experience to be able to sit back, cold beer in hand, and observe my folks in their native environment, with their peers.  While I may not have learned anything new, I certainly confirmed something I have known for years.  I have the best family ever.  Just say'in.  I hope I have half as much fun at my own 60th party when it arrives.  Not that I want to hurry that event along...Lets worry about 40 for now...



No comments:

Post a Comment