Wednesday 23 October 2013

I Blame Charles...



So the big day has finally arrived.  Day one of our 13 week North American tour of the Drayton Entertainment Production of Godspell.  The Tour is being produced by TMA/ Moonglow Productions out of NYC, headed by the same people who produced the tour of Dirty Rotten Scoundrels that I had the opportunity to go out on a few years back.

This time around it is 11 Canadian Cast Members, 2 Canadian Stage Managers, 5 American Crew, and our American Company Manager who I am hoping will keep us "between the mailboxes".

We boarded the bus at 9:45am in Cambridge ON, and after what was a teary goodbye for some of our cast, we set out on our very first travel day.  Our only real goal today was to make it across the border into the U.S. and then travel about 50 percent of the way to our first venue - New Haven Connecticut.  It was smooth sailing the entire way to our first stop.  We breezed through customs in record time - 40 min from arrival at the border to departure.  Not too shabby for a bus filled with a mixed production company of Canadian Cast and American Crew.  No fuss, no muss, no worries, and no delays.  It was pretty slick.

As far as being out on the road, I was actually surprised at how quickly I found myself falling into my old touring habits.  I grabbed the same seat on the coach that I had the last time I went out (It really is all about being at the back of the bus), and settled in very quickly.  I have found that on the road you have to rely on technology to keep you entertained...tablets, e-readers, laptops, and portable gaming systems are your best friends, and keeping them charged is a primary concern!  My tablet and PS Vita got a solid work out today, as we passed through Ontario's wine country, and down into New York State.  The number of sets of headphones in use on the bus is very encouraging.  This group has already figured out that it is up to them to keep themselves entertained while they are on the bus.  We also put on our first group movie after the lunch break, but to be honest, I have no idea what it was because I was deep into Uncharted: The Golden Abyss on my PS Vita at the time.

I was also amused by a few of the casts ability to nap on the bus on day one.  Regardless of all of the excitement and energy that they had when we left Cambridge, a few were able to stretch out and catch a few z's before we even hit the border.  No question, they will adapt just fine to life on the bus.

We arrived in Syracuse NY in time for dinner and didn't waste any time making plans.  After a healthy stop at the hotel bar, the majority of us wound up catching a free shuttle down to Syracuse Suds, in the market district for dinner.  While the craft beer was far from stellar, the food was decent, the live jazz was fun, and the company was second to none.   From there, small groups peeled off to do whatever they wanted, but the gang I was with, which included my unflappable ASM Charles,  started a little pub crawl that took us to four or five local establishments, every one of which was more interesting than the last.  After sampling more than our share of the local craft brews, and some fresh mussels, We ended our evening at a fantastic hole in the wall bar called Al's which had the biggest wall of liquor that I have ever seen... which was impressive in and of itself.  (We're talking 15' high x 36' long folks!) Also, when I asked the bartender if they had a bottle of  Crown Royal Cask #16 on hand, he readily acknowledged that they had it, and was happy to pour me a $15 ounce.  HEAVEN. 


(I really do need to pick up another bottle of that while I am out on tour to bring home as a special treat for myself.)   On top of the great bourbon/scotch selection, there was also a hip trio playing at Al's and we stuck around to hear them play for a good 35 min... reminded me a lot of Death Cab For Cutie.  A very mellow sound with lot's of interesting instrumental combinations.
After walking home - about 1.54 miles - BTW a big Thank-you to iphones for keeping us from getting totally lost in strange new cities - we went our separate ways.

Tomorrow is another straight travel day before we load in for our first show on Friday night.  I smell a friendly poker game in my future.

1 comment:

  1. Great day one! Can't wait to read the updates as tour progresses! Again good luck!

    ReplyDelete