Wednesday 17 October 2012

Seven Psychopaths: A Dark Dark Comedy

The second film of last lights double feature was the new film, Seven Psychopaths, and I must say that I was very amused.
The trailers don't give much away, so I wasn't entirely certain what to expect.  But the stellar cast caught my attention, so I thought I would check it out.
What I got was a dark comedy that had some serious laugh out loud moments.  Be warned, there were not cuddly kitten falls off the back of the sofa funny moments. No, these were some sick, twisted laughs, and I must admit that I really enjoyed them!
Colin Farrell plays a screen writer, struggling with script for his latest film idea.  All he really has is a title:  Seven  Psychopaths.
Sam Rockwell plays his best friend, who attempts to give Farrell a bit of a push with his work...by...well, lets say...generating a little conflict in his life.
Walken and Harrelson also make appearances, as 2 of the 7 psychopaths...and each does a stellar job with the material.  This really is a film about a film, where the content of the lives of Farrell, Rockwell, and Walken's characters suddenly have tremendous baring on the screenplay that Farrell is writing.  They actually go so far as to brake the forth wall in one instance and have fantastic conversation about how the movie Farrell is writing (which is mirroring the movie the audience is watching to a certain extent) should progress from that point forward.  Some of the dialogue and commentary that they provide is fantastic!  It is not a device that I have seen in a lot of films, but as a comedic element it was certainly very effective.
A couple of times it was interesting the way they integrated the strictly fictional characters of Farrell's movie into the 'real life' events that the characters were experiencing.  Based on the title of both films, I expected to encounter 7 actual individuals, but this was not the case.
I really do see this more as a Festival piece than a solid piece of mainstream media, but it was certainly highly entertaining.  I don't think it brakes any new ground, and Quentin Tarantino will always do a better job with this type of violent, dark, yet disturbing comedic content, but Seven Psychopaths definitely holds its own.


No comments:

Post a Comment