Monday 27 August 2012

Zombies, and art, and science, and more Zombies...

Okay, so I have been a terrible blogger lately, but life has honestly gotten in the way again...In the last few weeks I have had a whole plethora of fantastic life experiences to write about but I have also had a few terrible life experiences that I think I want to bottle up and put on a shelf somewhere dark and forget about them until I am in a better state of mind to reflect on them at some length.
So in the meantime I want to share a few observations on a trio of things that I have experienced lately that all share a fun common theme: Namely... Zombies.  Who doesn't love Zombies?  If you raised your hand, don't even bother with this post, it isn't for you.  Better luck next time.

#1: The Walking Dead.  The AMC television series.

As always, while I am working out of town for the Summer, I am always on the hunt for full seasons of new TV shows to watch that will sustain me through endless hours of late night insomnia/ boredom.  This last couple of weeks first two seasons of The Walking Dead has been just what the Doctor ordered.  Friends warned me that the first season was infinitely better than season 2...but I am not sure I agree.  Based on a series of graphic novels (which I will freely admit that I have no intention of ever reading), the series follows a small rag tag band of survivors in the southern states after an epidemic turns most of the population into flesh-eating shamblng corpses.  After the very first episode I was hooked.  And here's the funny thing: I don't even like this genre.  Never have.  I am a huge pussy when it comes to horror movies of any kind: Infact, I generally avoid them because of the instantious and visceral effect they have on me.  I am a grown man, with what one might call a very over-active imagination, and I have no problem admitting that after an evening of this kind of entertainment I delevop a serious fear of the dark.  Okay, not the dark so much as everything that goes bump in the dark!  After watching The Blair Witch Project when it first came out on the big screen I could not sleep the entire night, despite the fact that I was in my early twenties and tucked safely into my own bed in my parents home at the time.  And forget about camping...that film officially ruined that for me forever!  So naturally I avoid horror films, just to save myself the trouble.  But this series though has taken a slightly different approach to the horror genre which has captured my attention.  The focus is on the interactions of the survivors, how they deal with loss, and hope, and despair, and all of the crazy scenarios that someone could find themselves in when the world goes to hell in a handbasket and there just happens to be ravenous hordes of the living dead clogging the streets, waiting to eat your brains.  I really do enjoy the writing, plot lines, and the talent involved in this series, and I would feel remiss if I didn't mention that the special effects make up team has done an incredible job of scaring the living bejesus out of me on more than one occasion.  I need to check the exact date, but I know that Season 3 airs soon.

#2 Bodies: The Exhibit.

While we were in Las Vegas recently, my friends and I decided to take in Bodies: The Exhibition at the Luxor.  While both Just the Wife and my sister the physio-therapist have often told me that this was something that they have always wanted to see, it has never been very high on my list of must do activities.  Not becuase I'm squeamish, but because I do have some pretty big hang-ups with death.  But don't we all?  No, okay maybe it's just me.However as the Fun Coordinator  for the trip, one of our gang really wanted to see it, so off we went.  For those of you who have never heard of this exhibit, let me explain.  Basically, a European Scientist/ Doctor/ Evil Genius has acquired a whole pile of actual human corpses that have been donated to science post mortem, and through meticulous preservation and disection techniques, has created an art installation/ science project guarenteed to scare the sweet bejesus out of the faint of heart.  This is not for kids!  As you tour through the exhibit they basically walk you through all of the systems of the human body, with several very visceral, real demonstrative models to better exemplify the specifics of exactly how the human body is put together.  If you have never seen a flayed human body, you are in for a treat. Several infact.  If you ever had to disect a fetal pig in Biology class, you will be astounded by how similar this entire exhibit feels to that experience.   While I was incredibly intrigued by the inner workings of the musculature, circulatory and repiratory systems, I found the key to this exhibit was to simply disconnect the fact that all of the pieces I was examing were once living, breathing human beings, with hopes, dreams and aspirations.  One I was able to see them simply as anatomicially correct manikins, I was able to breath a little easier.  Ofcourse, it wasn't long after that point that my imagination kicked in and suddenly I was seeing each new installation as a potential zombie marauder.  This made the exhibit way more terrifying, and interestingly enough, easier to handle.  As a side bar, the various dissected internal workings of the lungs that had been dyed two tone to illustrate the flow of blood were actually quite beautiful as pieces of art - an odd and puzzling thought.  Also the few 'bodies' that consisted of only dyed veins and arteries suspended in enbalming fluid were very interesting to behold, and creepy as hell.  I will also mention that as a parent the fetal development portion of the exhibit was more than a little hearbreaking, if very informative, and super interesting.
I have spent alot of time pondering how I actually feel about the morality of this exhibit, the whole question of actual human bodies on display as a piece of art/science/novelty, and I honestly don't think I can come up with an easy answer.  From an educational standpoint, I feel that it is an excellent, inovatove concept, allowing the general public access to teaching tools that they would otherwise never be exposed to, outside of a medical training facility.  The flip side of course is that I know I wouldn't appreciate knowing that one of these displays featured a friend/ relative of mine who had checked the little box on their organ donor card.  Of course, that would have been their decision to do so, and I really have no business being offended by someone else's last wishes, since it was obviously something that they felt strongly about, and its pretty damn petty of me to think that I have the right to be indignant about something that they so strongly believed in.  Like I said, no real easy answer.  Ultimately I think I will simply settle for being conflicted, and I'm okay with that.

#3 The Zombie Survival Guide: Complete Protection from the Living Dead by Max Brooks.

As promised, we're right back to Zombies to round out this post!  This handbook looks at all of the elements that you, yes you, need to know to survive a plethora of Zombie related scenarios.  The books covers a huge array of information, from origins of the Zombie, selection of initial refuge, how to fortify and secure your home, primary, secondary and ranged weapon selection, what you will need to ride out the infestation.  This book really is the final word on how to prep for the inevitable Zombie Apocolypse.  The whole reason I was intriqued by this book is all of the time I have spent discussing said Zombie Apocolypse over the years with various friends.
Ultimately what I have learned is this: Select a small (3-5) group of healthy, individuals that you trust.  Hopefully these are people who happen to have a  wide array of varied special skills, and talents.  (A mechanic, an engineer, a paramedic/ medical professional, someone with actual combat experience or is at least comfortable with a gun, will all come in handy!).  Then get your hands on a functional katana, hatchet, or crowbar and head on down to an American Walmart - the supply of guns, ammo, and food available will be worth the effort it takes to clear out the store of roaming undead.  Most importantly, when dispatching the Undead, you must destroy the brain, any other damage will only piss them off, and get you eaten.  Headshots count!  Once you have your supplies for 2-3 months of enforced house arrest, find a two storey home with a decent fenced yard, set up base camp on the upper story, demolish the stairs to the main floor, and sit down to wait it out.  Apparently Zombies can't climb so you should be okay until the food and water runs out.  After that...it sounds like you're best bet is to resupply and make your way to an off shore oil rig or military compound to ride out the rest of the forseeable future, which sadly wont  likely be very long, since the planet has obviously been overrun by the undead anyway by this point.  May as well make the most of it!  But be aware, if a collegue gets bit, do yourself a favour and immedietly  put a bullet in their brain becuase they will be reanimating with a taste for brains before you know it, and nobody needs that on the wrong side of a protective barracade! A very amusing read, especially when combined with exposure to the two previous articles of this post, I would encourage anyone who is so inclined to pick up a copy to read for themselves!

There you have it, a solid triple dose of Zombies to keep you on your toes!  Enjoy.

And remember: Always double tap.







No comments:

Post a Comment