Wednesday 3 April 2013

The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct

Yesterday, I picked up a used copy of newest offering from Activision.  The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct.  I had read alot of reviews and fan feedback that cautioned me that the pacing was slow, and the game suffered from a number of other drawbacks, but to be honest, I think it is pretty friggin awesome.  As a huge fan of The Walking Dead in all of it's formats, I feel like the tone of this game is spot on.  You play as Darryl Dixon, a fan favourite from the hit AMC show, voiced by Norman Reedus himself.  Activision classifies it as a 1st person "survival" game, meaning it is not the goal to execute and obliterate every walker in a given level.  Really, if you don't want to, you could like sneak past almost every walker in the game, never firing a shot.  Ofcourse, I took a slightly more aggressive approach, testing out each and every melee weapon and firearm I could get my hands on.  To be honest, I am only about 3 main levels into the campaign, so I still have a long way to go, but so far I am a huge fan of the lead pipe and the double barrel shot gun.  In true Walking Dead fashion, gunshots draw walker hordes, so the majority of the combat is up close and personal.  I have yet to discover Darryl's signature range weapon - the compound crossbow, but once I get that I will cooking with gas!
Levels are an interesting blend of wide open areas and small dark enclosed places, all filled with decomposing walkers.  While most of the graphics are a little cartoonish for my taste, the zombies look fantastic.  And the kills are wicked.  Headshots, amputations, executions...all awesome.
I can't wait to dig my teeth into the plot of this game and discover yet another facet of The Walking Dead canon.


No comments:

Post a Comment